How To Find Your Family's Dream Home
Everything to consider before the house hunt
When we purchase a house, we aren't just looking for someplace to live. We're looking for a home to make memories that will last a lifetime. Whether you're buying your first home or opening the next chapter in your family's life, understanding how to choose a house will help you find a home that brings happiness for years to come.
Step 1: Set your budget
Before you look for a home, you need to know what you can afford. That's where your local CrossCountry Mortgage loan officer comes in! They'll get you pre-approved so you can make a budget and stay a step ahead of other house hunters. By working with a local loan officer, you'll also gain insight into your housing market, financing to fit your long-term goals, and dedicated service to make your bid a win.
Step 2: Find the right community
The next step in finding your dream home is finding your dream neighborhood. It's important to keep in mind you're not just buying a house - you're investing in a community. To make the right choice, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you prefer quiet streets or an active area?
- Is walkability important?
- Would you like to live near nature?
- What shopping and restaurants do you want nearby?
- Is an older neighborhood or newer development more appealing?
Once you've determined what you want out of your community, run this background check on potential neighborhoods:
- Find crime rates online
- Talk to the local police department
- Drive around the area
- Walk through the community at various times
- Check for public transportation
- Research current and historic property values
- Look up the area's property taxes
After you've learned its trends, you can be sure the community you've picked will make you and your family feel at home.
Step 3: Find the right house
Now it's time to house hunt! Much like the neighborhood, this starts with a list of needs and desires for your family's new home. Consider the following:
- How many bedrooms do we need?
- How many bathrooms?
- What does our perfect kitchen look like?
- How big of a yard do we want?
- How much storage space is important?
Next, make sure not to get distracted by non-essentials. While an indoor jacuzzi may be a nice perk, be sure your dream home's essentials are in working order. These include:
- Heating and cooling systems
Once you know you're up to code, you can feel confident buying your dream home.
Step 4: Buy your dream home
Still haven't found the right house? Don't worry - your agent and loan officer are here to help. They can show you options you might not know about, such as buying an older home and fixing it up with a renovation loan. Talk to your CrossCountry Mortgage loan officer to start your homeownership journey today.